Our Organizational Systems and Models class created a robot for the FIRST Robotics Competition. Designing and building the robot was a goal for us, but we were also thinking about what robotics could do outside of the competition. Robots, in the long-term, could have a positive effect in the world. Considering the Millennium Development Goals proposed by the United Nations, robots could help with make universal education a reality. They could help with building schools, providing transportation for students and helping teachers with classroom organization. With my experience in the project, I’ve seen that robots have many capabilities for movement. In poorer countries, there are is a lack of educational facilities. Perhaps with robots, facilities can be more efficiently built. Also, robots could help by providing transportation for students to go to school. In addition, robots could help teachers by handling supplies. This project taught me knowledge about technology in systems and models.
- Describe your experiences with the NASA robot project: During the project, I initially helped with processing pictures for our website. Then, I helped with the mechanics of the robot. I preferred building the robot because I liked doing a hands-on assignment. I gained a lot of useful experience in learning how mechanical parts work together.
- What did you learn? What did you learn about yourself?: With the completion of the robot, I understood the process of combining electrical and mechanical power to make something to move. Also, I realized how much I enjoy working with measurements to design parts that fit together while I built the bumpers for the robot. Time flied when I was working on something. I was being challenged and had fun with the project.
- What was the greatest challenge?: The greatest challenge from the project was designing the bumpers. I underestimated how much planning it would take to figure out how they would be padded and attached to the robot. However, with support from fellow team members, we were able to collaborate on designing and finishing the bumpers together.
- What could you have done differently?: As an individual, I could have helped my group more by getting more involved in other parts of the project. I put my main focus on construction when I would have liked to lend a helping hand to other people.
- What did you enjoy the most?: Although I’ve mentioned many positives from my experience, what I enjoyed the most was working with the team. It would not have been the same experience without the sense of community our school had with the project.